Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, March 24, 2014

I Want It NOW!




The joys of grand parenting can't be measured.  This grand mommy is taking in every minute and hiding each one in her heart. 

This past weekend we had the joy of having our grandson sleep over.  He will be turning three in a week and just like my own children, three seems to come roaring in with "I am INDEPENDENT!"  He expressed his independence this weekend.  "I want to walk by myself" he announced as I tried to hold his hand.  I remember well looking at my own with a giggle.  There they were, so pint size, and yet they would proclaim their independence to someone who stood several feet taller and out weighed them.

We took our little "independent" guy to church.  Ben dressed him and then he robbed Grand Mommy's jewelry chest for beads and bracelets.  Grand Daddy did stop him from wearing them into church.  He did wonderful in his class, yet as we stepped out of the church he again expressed his independence.

He wanted to see a donkey.  He was convinced a donkey was in the pasture next to the church.  He goes to see a donkey regularly and I am sure the environment looked the same.  However, there wasn't a donkey in the field next to the church.  We tried to explain there was no donkey. In his three-year-old independent voice he says, "I want to see a donkey, NOW!"  Grand Daddy and Grand Mommy just looked at each other with a giggle.  Then he said, "okay then I am shutting my eyes!"  This little man was making his statement.  If we didn't produce a donkey NOW then he was going to walk with his eyes shut!  Again we weren't impressed with his demands.  We calmly continued to walk to the car as he stumbled around with his eyes close, which even became funny to him.  He made it to the car, because he has two older and wiser grandparents helping to direct his path.

I am so much like my grandson.  I look up at God and demand, "NOW!" through my own unbelief.  I impatiently don't want to wait for His timing and, therefore, I close my eyes!  Yes, I close my eyes and start to stumble around.  He lovingly watches and continues to guide me even through my announcements for "independence."

But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”— I Corn. 2:9

15 Joining in with more words:

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Ain't it the truth!! :) This is a mind picture for sure, and it looks very familiar...

Debbie said...

LOVE that age! Independent and sweet all at the same time! Good analogy! Hope your week is blessed!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the truth??!! And you think you would outgrow it....

Maryann said...

I knew exactly where you were going with this, guess that means I see a little too much of myself in this.

Vee said...

Fun story! I shared this with John earlier and we got quite a chuckle out of it and then appreciated the analogy. Oh me!

Sandy said...

Your analogies are always so good, Janette. Truth, truth, truth!

podso said...

They keep us on our toes and on our knees! Good analogy. And how fun to have him overnight.
And your previous post --it's hard to know how to respond. Our world is changing so fast and there is so much that we need to be involved in helping with.

Rebecca said...

Jesus said, "Unless we become like children....." Not sure he had the independent streak in mind -- but saw behind the independence to the deeper trust that makes independence possible.


Christine said...

I'm impressed with your patience.
But when you are in LOVE, patience is easy, isn't it.
How fun to have him overnight.
I always peek in, after they are asleep, to see their angelic faces!

Sue said...

Precious! precious!, precious post! what a wonderful analogy! I can say "been there done that!"
Being a grandparent is the best assignment from God isn't it. Enjoy!
Give Ben a hug from me.
Thanks for sharing,
Sue

Sharon said...

This was such a cute post - but with big nuggets of truth in it! Yes, sometimes I behave like a spoiled toddler - why does God put up with me?! (I'm rather glad that He does, though!!)

"Independence" from God is really slavery to something else. We do well to remember that.

GOD BLESS!

(Your GS is adorable!!)

Petra said...

Endearing analogy. So true. The only difference between us and the lil bits is that we are taller tots and a bit more clever in concealing our tantrums. Blessings

Creations By Cindy said...

I enjoyed this post so much! God has had to remind me a lot that my dependence must be on Him! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

How cute! Yes, nothing quite like these little Grans. Ours are 4 and 5 and we LOVE these ages! Blessings!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

A precious little guy with the very same nature as I. I just know how very much you all enjoyed his visit :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails