Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Just Give Me the REAL!

google image


We heard it!  We stopped to quiet our talking and movement to intently listen.  We heard it again!  What an unusual sound to hear in the middle of the day, in the middle of a crowded place, which only made the sound more inviting.  Grasping Benjamin's arm, we were off on an adventure.  Looking up into the large trees our eyes were concentrating on finding the source of the unusual sound.  We scanned the trees for an owl at five in the afternoon in triple-digit weather.

It stopped.  We moved another direction to see if we could capture the sight of this owl that was hooting during the day.  We were unsuccessful. As we turned back to the pool area Benjamin voiced his frustration, "that was my first opportunity to see an owl and we didn't find it."

I was still trying to figure out why an owl was hooting when we walked out of the pool area my eyes caught  this..........


Yes! what we believed to be real was indeed fake.

How many times in life do I chase what I believe to be real to only find out it is fake?  How many times do I allow Satan to hand me a counterfeit?  The only way for me to know the real from the fake is to stay close to the real.  As you can tell from this post I do not know a real "hoot" from from a fake.  It was a "hoot" of an adventure.


23 Joining in with more words:

Farm Girl said...

Well I would settle for that. I remember a neighbor of ours had a recording of frogs. For the longest time I thought we had bull frogs some where close. It gave me such peace. We were in the middle of the neighborhood with people on every side and it gave me the feeling of being out. I am like you, too often I can fall for what I think it real.
We must stay so close to the source.
My thinking becomes muddled if I am not snuggled up to Him. Another great post!

Maryann said...

I'll bet this made you laugh, I would have fallen for the same thing. Great analogy though, if we don't know whats the real thing how we going to konw whats fake

Debbie said...

Good morning! haha I enjoyed this. Soo true too. We are so often deceived by the fake. Good analogy as always. We did btw have an old owl who lived high in the tree behind our old house. We could often hear him hooting, day or night! Got a huge kick out of that old bird many times! Have a good day!

Vee said...

Those fake ones hoot? Interesting. Fun story, great analogy.

Rebecca said...

We have a clock in our downstairs bathroom that sounds bird calls on the hour. I don't know how many house guests are stopped mid-sentence when the hour is sounded! It's fun to see the expressions on their faces.

Yep! It was a teachable moment there at the pool, wasn't it, Janette?! Thanks for reminding me.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Pretty cute, and an excellent lesson. Isn't it funny how the everyday stuff can make us connect dots in new ways? Maybe it's called learning...

Sally said...

We last saw an owl, on a lamp post at dusk, in Arizona. It was a magical moment. Sorry this wasn't the moment but maybe someday.

Vickie said...

AND a good lesson for Benjamin! Isn't it wonderful when life gives us teachable moments with our kids!

Sue said...

Great analogy Janette, I hope dear Benjamin gets to see his first real owl real soon. They are very hard to find in the daytime for sure.
Enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Sue

Marsha Young said...

Well, I guess that sometimes even a fake hoot is better than no hoot at all. :)

Patty Marker said...

What a great teachable moment. I have fallen for the fake one more than I care to admit.

Anonymous said...

Janette! You have just been blessed with a wonderful teachable moment with your little one - which I expect you made the most of. A great metaphor - and I must say I was stirred myself reading your opening thinking that you had the privilege of seeing one of these marvels of creation in the wild! Our owl trip late this past winter was a giant FAIL - heard them, but could not see them - at dusk - in the wild. Will have to settle for pinterest pics.

And, jotting this life lesson down for future remembrance . . .

Joy!
Kathy

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Excellent comparison!

When Abbey was little and I drove the older girls to school, she would say in her little voice from the back seat that she saw an owl under the overpass. I always said, "Yeah?", but didn't give it another thought. Years latter when driving that same route, I saw that there was a plastic owl up in the rafters apparently there to ward off other birds. We all laughed as Abbey said, "I told you!".

Pom Pom said...

Oh, there IS a lot of fake out there, isn't there?
I'm so glad we trust the TRUTH.

Simple Home said...

Oh Janette, that was so well said!! I follow the fake far too often if I try to do things on my own. What a great analogy!
Blessings,
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Our neighbor across the street has one of those fake plastic owl on their house to keep the pigeons(they make such a mess)and it works!

Stay close to the real - so right!
Hugs

Tanna said...

I'm hooting here. LOL! I love that you two were tracking it down in the triple digits!! And, hey, I'd say this was a testament of your maybe being initially caught by the fake, but not giving up until you found the truth. ;) Hooting away... t.

Angela said...

I was wondering why the owl was hooting in the middle of the day! They are sometimes so loud in the woods behind my neighborhood that my kids thought they were monkeys hollering:)

Unknown said...

We used to have one of these on the roof of the church to keep the pidgeons away-guess what it didn't work! ha!! I just wanted to stop by and say hello and that I love you dearly. Praying that you are doing well. We are getting geared up for everything to get started again.
Hugs
Jill

Debbie said...

This piggy backs our sermon on Sunday perfectly. In this crazy counterfeit world we live in, it's imperative we understand what is "real" isn't it?

podso said...

This reminds me that we were going to find a wooden owl, to help keep the birds away in our garden. You had me going there for a while. But it was a great illustration.

And thanks for your comment on my blog.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

This really cracked me up b/c I once braked the car and got the kids to quietly follow me to what I thought was a real blueheron in a pond. yep..a fake and they teased me for days. But your point hits home. Thanks Janette....

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Well, sometimes the fake is so well disguised it is hard to distinguish at first. Takes some practice. And thankfully, we are allowed those chances to get it right.

At least you had fun during the search, even though it wasn't exactly a success. Sometimes adventures have to be constructed out whatever is available.

Related Posts with Thumbnails