Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Time - Time for Soup!



In celebration of our surprise Texas snow I am posting on one of my favorite soups from my early marriage days.  I learned to cook through my yearly Southern Living Cookbooks.  By 1988 I had two little helpers at my kitchen counter.  This soup has followed us through the years and become one of my staples for giving to families during the birth of a new baby, illnesses, or just needing a helping hand.  So travel with me back to the 80's in my worn Southern Living Cookbook. I hope it warms you up.

Now add some warm French Bread and you are ready for a hearty meal.

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini

1 pound hot or mild Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
4 (14.5 oz) cans of tomatoes, undrained and chopped
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh fennel or 1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
1 (9 oz) package tortellini

Remove the sausage casing; crumble sausage in a large Dutch oven.  Add garlic and onion; cook until meat is browned.  Drain meat; pour off pan drippings.  Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and add to soup.Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Yield - 11 cups

24 Joining in with more words:

Debbie said...

This sounds wonderful and quick and easy enough I could make it, lol....I tried Jenny Craig's minstrone soup yesterday ~ a bitter disappoiintment, haha...Actually, most of their stuff is wonderful...but NOT their soups. Have a wonderful day my friend! HUGS

Sandy said...

I really love soup and make some
kind at least once a week. My
favorite is cabbage potato and
leek. Fabulous! My family and I
love all things Italian in cooking
so I know we'll enjoy this soup
you've shared. Thanks. I needed
a new one to try and with another
three inches of snow expected today on top of our eight that has barely melted, this will warm us up for sure!
Hugs,
Sandy

Mary said...

oh I love soups, especially on cold days. If I can get to the store today this will be dinner!! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, many, many years ago my mother-in-law was on the cover of a Southern Living Magazine. Can't remember the date.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

What time is lunch??

Looks delicious and warm and hearty.

Years ago I had a shrimp salad recipe published in Southern Living. We all laughed at that, since I made it up and really don't cook with shrimp that much! :)

Theresa said...

Wow, that looks great. We are having sausage and peppers today. We woke up to 15 inches of snow :) It is going to be a fun day in the snow with the kids. Enjoy your soup.

Farm Girl said...

Yum!! It looks wonderful, that is the recipe, so do you double it? I always have to double and triple some recipes. Thanks for the recipe! Stay warm. :)

Karen said...

Janette, this really sounds good & looks delicious! Just may have to try this one.

Vee said...

Looks delicious. I'm bookmarking for future reference as I do not have all the ingredients. (I am making a potato soup today, though. Potatoes I have.)

Cherie Hill said...

Mmmmmm that looks yummy!!!! We've still got a LITTLE snow on the ground here :) it's staying cold, so soup sounds perfect!
Blessings!
Cherie

LisaShaw said...

Janette,

Thanks for sharing! This sounds like and looks like it's delicious! I'm truly a soup and Chili person during the fall/winter. As a matter of fact, for lunch today I made creamy potato soup. I may have to try yours. We are big Italian Sausage people!

Blessings to you!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! We're still enjoying the snow too - I'll have to give this a try!

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

We got some snow last night too. Nothing compared to last years but they closed schools anyway. Some brave (crazy) new client brought her daughter out this morning for a lesson tho! I'm frozen and ready to try this yummy soup right now as I have the ingredients! THANKS!
hugs,
Leslie

Susannah said...

Funny how certain special entres have carried us through the years. I love sausage in anything!

Enjoy your soup, Janette. :~D

Cora said...

Oh wow....this sounds awesome. I love Italian sausage!! It's the only way we eat spaghetti! Thanks for sharing this one!

Deborah Ann said...

That soup looks divine, and I LOVE your new banner! You really crack me up, girl...

Lorie said...

Oh this looks so good! We got another 4 inches last night so soup is definitely on the menu. I think I'll try this one tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

Hi Janette, I collect these annual cookbooks and enjoy them so much. This soup sounds so hearty, and delicious.
Stay warm we are slowly warming up.
Hugs, Sue

Anonymous said...

My husband would absolutely love this. Thanks for the recipe. I saw on the news that every state but FL had snow! We have been iced in our driveway since Sunday.

Debbie said...

I was just saying that I wanted to try some new soup recipes. This looks absolutely perfect and like I could make it.

Thanks!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, we are such soup folks that I will certainly have to try this one. We live off of soups and stews in the winter. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie Petras said...

The soup sounds good! I used to subscribe to Southern Living when I lived in Florida for a few years. They have great recipes.

How exciting to have snow in Texas! I love to look at it and even have a snow day. LOL.

Sending you a hug,
Debbie

Bobbie said...

So fitting!! This sounds delicious! Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Janette,

This sounds like a good meal. However, since there are only two people in this household, I will need to half the recipe so we are not having soup for too many days.

I think I actually might try this recipe. I like simple recipes. The complex kind (e.g., gormet) don't go over very well for me.

-Lady Rose

Miss Janet said...

Mmmmmm.... That looks wonderful! I love soup and that is one thing that I DO like to make in the kitchen.

Hope all is well with you! God has something great in store for you!

:)

Janet

Related Posts with Thumbnails