Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Monday, November 29, 2010

I CHOOSE US!



There are just some movies that say it for me and Family Man is one of those movies.  I have it in my DVD collection and I usually bring it out at Christmas.  If there is any chance that I have allowed doubts to enter my mind, this movie always sweeps them away.

Saturday, my husband had to work late into the evening and I sat... lonely in my big chair, while flipping through the channels. There was Family Man.

What if we could see what our life would have been like if we had chosen differently?  Jack was given that chance in this movie.  What wins at the end isn't the high paying job, the nice car or the yearly vacations, instead he is allowed to see the joy in a life where life happened.  He would have had two children and lived very modestly with a wife who adored him.  His glimpse into what could have been, allowed him to change his priorities.  He was given a second chance.

At one point in the movie, he wants to uproot the whole family for his dream job.  She finally gives in and says she would go with him anywhere!  She says, "I Choose Us."

There were many choices along our 30 years of marriage.  Many job options would have taken my husband out of town more days than in town, instead he chose to work near home.  He never missed any of our childrens' games, nor any other event in all six of their lives.  The exchange  was worth it.

As we look to our future, I can truly say, "I Choose Us!"  My husband is the real Family Man!

I guess hindsight sometimes brings us the same message that Jack learned in the movie, "Family Man,"... it isn't about things, but about relationships!!*
*caution... there are a few scenes that some eyes should be covered (we fast forward)...for me, it catches the heart of a couple in love...as she says, "they are envious of us!" Like any recommendation, use your own judgment!  This movie is in my top 10!

What are some of your favorite movies that remind you of the most precious things in life? What are some of your favorite holiday movies?

27 Joining in with more words:

Debbie Petras said...

I love this movie too! A great story and lesson. I have many favorites including "When Harry Met Sally" and "the Christmas Carol" and "The Holiday" and "It's a Wonderful Life". I know there are more but that's just a few.

Sending you a hug of encouragement and love this morning,
Debbie

Alice said...

It's not really a Christmas movie, but I picked up Gone With the Wind at Goodwill a few weeks ago and am saving it for Christmas Day viewing..my kids haven't seen it. It is my all time fave!

Miss Janet said...

I am going to look that one up. I don't think I have seen it.

I don't think I have a favorite movie for the holidays. I'm a bit of a tradition breaker not maker! :)
(I'm a little strange...I know.)

Thank you for the movie tip!

Love and blessings flow to you today!

Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Theresa said...

Haven't seen this one yet. I can't think of a movie where you don't have to fast forward or cover your eyes! My husband and I love to watch "You've Got Mail" and "The Wedding Singer". I guess I love a good love story. LOL.

Cindy said...

I have that kind of hubby as well. It's so great to know that after 32 years of marriage I still choose him and he, me.

Thanks for this heartwarming post.

Debbie said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE this movie too. One of my all time favorites...such a good message as well. My hubby is like yours too. Soo many choices he has made over the years to accomodate me and his children...how blessed we are. Have a wonderful day! HUGS

Farm Girl said...

It is a good movie, I am currently thinking of what movies I like and watch, Scrooge with George C. Scott and the Muppet Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, While you were Sleeping and Sleepless in Seattle. The Bishop's Wife and Christmas in Connecticut. See if I come across the other ones I watch but these are the ones I love.

Ginny Marie said...

That was a good movie! I love Tea Leoni!

My husband is definitely a family man, and I'm so glad I married him. I made the right choice...a lot of wrong choices came before him, but fortunately God was watching out for me!

myletterstoemily said...

that is such a wonderful spin on "it's a
wonderful life!" we love the "family man,
too"

i'm glad your sweet husband has made
those right choices for your family.

and how cute is your four year old putting
joseph in the pit. good luck explaining
the two josephs to him. :)

merry Christmas!

love,
lea

Cascia Talbert said...

That sounds like a wonderful movie. I've never seen it.

I am very thankful that my husband is also a Family Man. His job doesn't take him very far from home and he is only on the road three days a week.

The kids adore him and he does a lot of fun activities with them. I hope this will continue when they are older and involved in sports, or what ever extra activities they may be interested in.

partialemptynester said...

OMGosh, I'd forgotten all about this movie! Thanks for reminding me, it really does have such a great message!

My Sanctuary Moments said...

My husband and I really enjoy this movie. You described it perfectly. My husband is the same, He has chosen us over all of the 'perks' in life. For that I adore him. We love "Fireproof". We both cry when he kneels beside his bed and asks his wife to forgive him for not loving her the way God wanted him to. His confession is so real. Thank you for encouraging us today.

Paula said...

Wow! This post gave me chills!! I pray that those words will always ring true with me..."I Choose Us". Thanks for sharing your heart. Love you!! Oh, and I'm so gonna watch this movie the first chance I get.

Anonymous said...

Janette,

This looks like an interesting movie. I may or may not view it in the future.

My favorite "holiday" movies would have to be "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Gone with the Wind," although the second one really doesn't count as a "holiday" movie, does it? :)

Blessings,

-Lady Rose

Let'sMakeADifference said...

AMEN!!!!!! Great post!

Sandy said...

I haven't seen it but I want to
now. My favorite movies include
"Scrooge" with George C. Scott
and "Beauty and the Beast" also
with George, "It's A Wonderful
Life", "While You Were Sleeping"
and "When Harry Met Sally" oh
and "Sabrina" with Harrison Ford.
Your husband sounds like a dear
just like mine. Aren't we blessed?

Unknown said...

Although I've not seen this movie, the message sounds like it's right on. Kind of funny - I wrote about things v. relationship today, too (In a bit of a different way)! Satan tends to work overtime luring us away from what's really important - usually using 'things' to capture our attention. But relationships are what really matter - first, our relationship with God, then our relationship with family! So glad to hear your husband made great decisions in choosing you and your family over the financial benefits of a job. Have a blessed week!

Anonymous said...

I have not seen this. I appreciate you posting about it. May God bless you and your family during this blessed season.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Well, that will definitely be put on my "must see" list. I can't believe I haven't seen it, but I sure can't recall it. What a beautiful post, brought a smile to my heart.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog entry about my Mom's death. I've felt peace and comfort today.

Hugs to you!

Susannah said...

Sounds like a wonderful story line, Janette. (I'm not a movie buff, so sorry!!!) I would have to echo so much of what you have written about the choices your husband made to be close to family vs. a wealthy lifestyle. When we think about the very rich that we know, none of them have kids! I just don't think you can have both...

(((Hugs)))

Beth Herring said...

I have never seen this movie - but looks like one that I need to get!

We watch 'It's a wonderful Life' every single year at Christmas. It wouldn't be the season without it.

Mary said...

well I have not seen this one. I will certainly get a copy, sounds like a keeper!

Deborah Ann said...

Janette...I think I saw that movie, but now I'll need to watch it again, based on your suggestion. (You rate pretty high with me, girlfriend!)

This post takes me back to our wedding, and how we were so young -we didn't know what the heck we were doing! But God did. Today, I love my husband SO much, it's unbearable! The two of us are one.

I hope you have the BEST Christmas ever. Knowing God like I do, I know you will..

Love you!

myletterstoemily said...

we could wait until our kids go to
sleep and sneak out! :)

Mikki said...

Oh I love this movie too. The storyline is great!!
I have a family man too.. we are truly blessed.

Simple Home said...

I forgot this one in my list of movies. I love it! We got it a year or two ago, and it's a favorite around here too :-) I really love Christmas movies.
Blessings,
Marcia

Finding Joy said...

I really like The Holiday, it has a lovely ending. I am quite the romantic so I like any of those snappy movies at Christmas. However my husband can't stand them so I watch them when he isn't around! He loves a good action of science fiction movie.

I havent watched The Family Man in years, maybe I should watch it again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails