Welcome to my eclectic journey of my life and delights. This year my theme is surrendering my writing pen to the true author, Jesus Christ, while looking forward to the future, reflecting on the past and dancing through my journey.




Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Party and Pie

As a new blogger, I had no idea what a Blogging Party was all about.  I signed up, still not sure if I had followed all the instructions right, and started down the huge list to hop from one blog to another.

I was amazed.  I had no idea.  I was inspired and encouraged.

I couldn't believe the number of blogs and the wonderful women I read about.  My hope for our nation went through the roof.  My creative side was inspired...I found a blog to teach me how to make cheese and one for hand-made soap, both things I have wanted to do for a long time.  I was encouraged by the hearts of so many women and their love for their families and their God.

I didn't know what number of visitors to expect, so any that stopped by my blog humbled me in many ways.  Why would anyone care to read my rambling?   I also saw how much more I needed to learn...isn't learning good for a middle-aged mind?  Thank you for stopping by and your nice comments.

So, in celebration of this party, I am sharing our pie with you today..Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (YUMMY, YUMMY!).  My four-year-old followed me to the kitchen to make a pie I remembered from my teen days.  My mother had adventurously stepped out of her comfort zone to make a strawberry rhubarb pie that I still recall 35 years later.  I don't remember us having it again, but maybe, like my boys, the rhubarb was so interesting and the product so good that it etched long-surviving memories.

My children have always learned at my side in the kitchen.  Usually starting as my four-year-old did, by first learning at their grandmother's side.  She would be at the house after the birth of our newest addition, or just a visit with our youngest two children, and would call them into the kitchen to put biscuits in the oven.  They would pull up a stool (around the age of three) and, after popping open the can of biscuits, she would allow them to arrange the biscuits on the cooking sheet to go into the oven. They entered the cooking world and have never looked back.

The rhubarb was sliced and measured.  This is a perfect way to start introducing math to your younger children.  My son watched as I added the rhubarb and then the strawberries on top, while reading out the measurements (numbers) to me.
The rhubarb took on the sweetness of the strawberries....it mimics flavors.
In celebration of poem month, this was a good time to quote the poem "Sing a song of Sixpence", where blackbirds are baked in a pie. I remembered the poem and later shared with my son, who thought it was so silly and again we counted...there were 24 birds baked in a pie.
Our final results...  my son had experienced math and literature by my side, while introducing a new vegetable....can you tell I have homeschooled for 21 years?  My older son was fascinated by how the rhubarb changed texture and taste.  We all enjoyed the fruit of our labor. We planned on making a different pie each week...sounds like fun for the spring season!  I wore my new "I Love Lucy" apron while we cooked, but I still wiped my wet hands off on my bottom...will I ever learn to use this new addition to my wardrobe?

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
3 cups of rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 pieces...trim the stringy layers of the large stalks
1 cup of strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup of sugar
3 Tablespoons of corn starch
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
Unbaked pastry for two-crust 9 inch pie

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, corn starch, salt and orange rind.  Let sit for 10 minutes
Turn into a pastry lined pan.  Top with the pastry, trim the edge, and crimp the top and bottom edges together.  Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes longer.  Cool on a rack.
Serve warm or cold......we put whipped cream on top!

ENJOY!!!

9 Joining in with more words:

Traci Michele said...

That looks SO SO YUMMY!! Thanks for sharing.

Vintage Whimsy Studio said...

Hi Janette - I am so glad that you stopped by my blog! I read your wardrobe article and I love it ;o) First let me tell you that I have recently taken over the editorial responsibilities for a small online Christian women's magazine, Ruby for Women. One of the ways that we are trying to get the word out about our great little magazine is to offer free ads to other work-at-home moms . . . and I see that you have a home business. If you are interested in having your banner and link back to your shop in the upcoming issue, just drop me an email with your info.

Then, I wanted to say that I am actually looking for someone to submit an article very much like your wardrobe article for the upcoming issue. Would you be interested in being a contributing author with that (or a similar) article? Let me know if you are interested! Great job and sweet blog ;o) Nina @ mamas*little*treasures and Ruby for Women

The Sierra Home Companion said...

Yummy! I love that idea, a new pie a week. Yummy and educational.:) I'm stopping by from the blog party and a new follower.

Tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey said...

Hi Janette! I linked to you from a comment you left on my blog. We are now connected through UBP! Even more so, our hearts are connected through Christ our Lord!

I love Strawberry Rhubarb ANYTHING, but this pie looks super duper delicious! I can't wait to take time to peruse your blog.

Count me in as a follower - sister!!

Tracey

http://onbeingblessed.blogspot.com

Lucy and Ethel said...

Thanks so much for stopping by the Suite! I can't believe we've finally met up with another Lucy and Ethel!

You're right - there are so many outstanding blogs, it's hard to think the world won't stay upright despite some pretty hefty attempts to knock it off its props.

Welcome to the world of blogging! We look forward to keeping up with you :)

Lucy

alexis nicole said...

This looks so good! My mother in law loves Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie and I'm writing this down. :)

Mikki said...

Hello there!
YUMMY! That pie looks delicious.
You stopped by my blog a little while ago. Sorry it took me awhile to come by here.
What a cute blog!
I have been so thrilled to meet new sisters in Christ through the blog party!!
Have a great day!

Housewife Eclectic said...

Oh my delicious! I have never been a pie maker but I think I am actually going to start. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Housewife Eclectic! I am now a follower!

Related Posts with Thumbnails